[mythtv] adding gnome-power-manager/HAL support to mythtv

Colin Guthrie mythtv at colin.guthr.ie
Mon Jun 11 20:15:17 UTC 2007

Ma Begaj wrote:
> 2007/6/11, Rob Smith <kormoc at gmail.com>:
>> On 6/11/07, Petr Stehlik <pstehlik at sophics.cz> wrote:
>>> the logic is there already, it just needs to call also
>>> gnome-screensaver, not just xscreensaver.
>>>
>>> Petr
>> Just remember, not all of us run gnome or have gnome-screensaver installed
>>
>> ~Rob
>
> That's true, there is also the screensaver for kde and, but the
> question is whether the kde screensaver is working together with kde
> power saving or is this kde power saving tool use some other way to
> detect the state.
>
> important is to stop power saving not for whole mythfrontend but just
> when the user is really using mythfrontend.

The best solution here would be to use xdg-screensaver as that should
work for Gnome, KDE or any other DE that conforms to the goals for the
Portland project.

http://portland.freedesktop.org/wiki/

In my distro, (Mandriva) xdg-screensaver is provided by the xdg-utils
package.

Summary     : Interfaces and Tools to allow all applications to easily
integrate with the free desktop configuration

I'd imagine you want to run:

 xdg-screensaver suspend WindowID
and
 xdg-screensaver resume WindowID

       suspend WindowID
              Suspends the screensaver and monitor power management.
WindowID
              must be the X Window ID of an existing window of the calling
              application. The window must remain in existance for the
              duration of the suspension.

              WindowID can be represented as either a decimal number or as a
              hexadecimal number consisting of the prefix 0x followed by one
              or more hexadecimal digits.

              The screensaver can be suspended in relation to multiple
windows
              at the same time. In that case screensaver operation is only
              restored once the screensaver has been resumed in relation to
              each of the windows

       resume WindowID
              Resume the screensaver and monitor power management after
being
              suspended.  WindowID must be the same X Window ID that was
              passed to a previous call of xdg-screensaver suspend

Hope this helps.

Col