[mythtv] Interface to HID remote devices

dave dave at atkinson.net.au
Tue Jun 5 00:26:16 UTC 2007

Clint,

The way I would approach this is to hack the kernel to map the remote keys to
what you want. I did this for the Twinhan remote see the bottom of

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Twinhan_Ter_or_MiniTer_DVT_PCI

This way you dont need to worry about X or Qt or LIRC just remap to the remote
key set. Modifying hid-input.c as I did allows you to support a usb keyboard
and remote at the same time without the key mapping interfering with each other.

The missing keys is probably because they are being mapped to nothing in
hid-input.

I'm taking the same approach for a USB remote that came with a product called
USB Radio XTreme (cheapest remote I could find locally in Australia and I
needed another one for a frontend I'm building). I've written a kernel driver
for it that remaps the keys to my current myth key settings.

Regards
David

p.s. hid-input.c is front event driven USB HID devices. It handles a rnge of
devices including keyboards, mice, joysticks. FOr keyboaords it basically
receives input event from the device which is a key number indexed from 0. It
then does a translation using a simple array to determine what key event this
should be translated to and then generates the input event.

On Mon, 4 Jun 2007 12:14:51 -0400 (GMT-04:00), Clint Eaker wrote