[mythtv] MythTV vs. Vista MCE: First Impressions (Looong!)

Colin Guthrie mythtv at colin.guthr.ie
Mon Jun 4 23:15:41 UTC 2007

Justin Hornsby wrote:
> From my own point of view, I've long felt the MythTV UI needed
> improvement.  For starters I thought all the themes sucked, so I made
> my own.  Recently I thought my first theme sucked, so I reworked it
> and am working my way through the rest.

Indeed and I really like your results!

> Even from my own humble standpoint there's been a constant cycle of
> improvement & the mythtv code base is no different.
>
> While I wouldn't go as far as saying mythtv is 'awesome' (a word I
> reserve for things which truly put me in awe - e.g. the miracle of
> life etc etc), it is absolutely amazing.

I kinda over use awesome... but I guess I rarely am actually in "awe"...
Think I watched too much Ninja Turtles as a kid ;)

> In my last posting I wasn't trying to imply "you pay nowt so expect
> nowt" - far from it - what I meant of course is that there are
> hundreds of products you can pay plenty money for & still end up
> nowhere near as good as MythTV :)

This is very, very true. It never ceases to amaze me what some
developers sell as completed products, especially as I tend to know
roughly what's out there in terms of O/S software.

> Just because the UI doesn't lamely spin around on the face of a cube,
> it doesn't mean that its UI lacks polish.

/justin points at Compiz et. al ;)

I am a big fan of compiz etc. I'll admit. And I admit that OpenGL
effects can go overboard but I have to admit that using compiz for a
while has made my desktop more productive and having nice reflections of
 graphics and tactile movement/sliding of things adds a lot to a UI IMO.
Provided it's done tastefully.

Take care.

Col