[mythtv] Minimizing and restoring an external application by pressing a mythtv menu button?

florin baiduc florinbaiduc at gmail.com
Sat Jun 2 01:14:57 UTC 2007

On 6/2/07, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:

> On 06/01/2007 08:34 PM, hendrixski wrote:
> > I was thinking about doing something similar with a program that's
> > written in python, and I started going down the path of learning how to
> > embed python in C++ so that I could then make a plugin... but it's way
> > more work than is worth it for something that just I would be using.
> > I'm on the verge of giving up.
> >
> > Your idea is much more feasible for me, to just call the application
> > from exec() or fork() and just have it launch separately!
> >

> You can use EXEC in the menu theme.  Just make sure your app/script
> exits if you want Myth to be usable in the meantime (i.e. have Myth call
> a script that call your app and then the script exits).  If you prefer
> to block use of Myth, don't exit.
>
> Mike

Yeah, EXEC is all fine and working but I was thinking to add more
functionality to those buttons (like restoring a previously minimized
application). For example change mythmenu to execute this commands while
pressing the same button:
first press- if not started, do an EXEC&.
Next presses - if visible (or not minimized) minimize (we can use the apps
controlls for this as well),
                       else if not visible (or minimized) restore as the
topmost window.

Therefore the developers list question :)
Thanks.
Florin