[mythtv] xmltv and mythfilldatabase

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Jul 12 15:22:34 UTC 2007

On 07/12/2007 10:08 AM, jack snodgrass wrote:
> Since the xmltv stuff does not need to be installed for
> mythfilldatabase to work... I'm
> going to go out on a limb and say that mythfilldatabase does not use
> the xmltv code
> to pull data from zap2it....

Right.

> I know that mythfilldatabase will use a xmltv file in passed with the
> --file argument, but
> I'm wondering if there is additional info the mythfilldatabase will
> use besides the
> xmltv file format.
>
> For example... if I use tv_grab_na_dd to get listing for my area... I
> don't see anything
> in the listing that says if a show is HD or not.  If I let
> mythfilldatabase pull the data
> itself... I see some shows listed as HDTV.
>
> Are there other fields that the mythfilldatabase can get from zap2it
> that the tv_grab_na_dd
> program chooses to ignore?

Yep.  Quite a bit of additional information is retrieved using the
Zap2It data directly rather than XMLTV output.

I know XMLTV was working on another DTD which would allow for inclusion
of much more data, but I don't know whether they've transitioned to the
new format.  (I kind of quit watching XMLTV development when I quit
using it.)  I would expect if the "old" schema doesn't allow inclusion
of info about whether a show is high-def or not, the new will.

But, you did see the preliminary (official) announcement about the
DataDirect replacement, right?  (In other words, the devs are taking
care of making sure you don't need to learn this.  :)  So, if there's
really a reason you need to find out how it's working, please ask a more
specific question/explain where you're going with it.)

Mike