[mythtv] Effect of Multi-rec on channel change times....?

Roo roo.watt at gmail.com
Thu Jul 12 14:22:01 UTC 2007

On 12/07/07, Daniel Kristjansson <danielk at cuymedia.net> wrote:
<snip>
> (You just record as many other streams as your hardware
> allows into small ring buffers and use them to initially
> fill up your recording file when you switch to that
> channel, then there is no need to wait for buffering
> since you already have a few seconds of video..)

Daniel,

Does myth currently implement the ring buffer in ram? Ultimately the
data is written to the hard drive, but would the speculative ring
buffer be in ram or would it flog the hard drive/s?

If the speculative ring buffers are written to the HDD I would be
concerned about:
* Hard drive wear
* Seeking noise
* Power consumption

We use LiveTV every night and I dont find the channel change delay
(<2secs) a problem. That is probably because we dont channel surf.

Cheers,

Roo.