[mythtv] Effect of Multi-rec on channel change times....?

Daniel Kristjansson danielk at cuymedia.net
Wed Jul 11 22:21:39 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-07-11 at 23:03 +0100, Colin Guthrie wrote:
> Yo,
>
> I was just trying to fight the myth corner when on IRC with a colleague
> and he was using VDRs quick channel change time as an argument and it
> got me thinking about the mutli-rec branch.
>
> I wont pretent to know much about the internals but by utilising the
> same transport, does this speed up the channel change time at all?

Nope, we are already caching the tuning data for other
channels on the same transport, and we have no plan to
continuously record all the other channels on a transport
to speed up channel changing time.

Someone may implement the continuous record feature in
future, but implementing such a feature would in some
ways have been easier to implement before multirec and
no one ever bothered to do it, so I wouldn't bet on it.
(You just record as many other streams as your hardware
allows into small ring buffers and use them to initially
fill up your recording file when you switch to that
channel, then there is no need to wait for buffering
since you already have a few seconds of video..)

-- Daniel