[mythtv] Proposed Change to MythMusic

Matt Jarvis matt at mattandkirsty.org.uk
Wed Jul 11 18:02:25 UTC 2007

One thing which may be worth adding to this discussion, in the context
of how you best manage large collections of individual track based
music. I've worked in the background music industry for the last five
years or so, developing systems which the likes of Hyatt, Marriott,
McDonalds, W Hotels, River Island, Next and MANY other businesses use.
Our systems have always been based on the idea of creating profiles,
which are then fitted to time of day slots. A profile is a combination
of an era filter, a tempo filter, and a genre filter ( with percentage
control ) and then playlists are autogenerated based on these
parameters. If the issue is how you deal with HUGE collections of
individual tracks, this is how it's done in the commercial world.
Obviously you also have someone human checking to make sure everything
is in order, but in general the system works quite well, PROVIDING your
categorisation/metadata is correct to start with. Most of  the time
personally, I know I want something with a certain FEEL, but I'm not
really bothered about what actually comes on, providing it fits my mood
( and I can always skip a track ). In my experience these parameters
give you the ability to control that.

believed to be clean.