[mythtv] Solution to CableCARD problem?

Chris Ribe chrisribe at gmail.com
Tue Jul 10 00:47:54 UTC 2007

> > Personally, I think that the best thing that can happen for
> > enthusiasts is that the analog component path remains a primary video
> > pathway.  Hopefully soon someone will come out with a commodity
> > component HD encoder so that we can record HD from cableboxes.
> > Something like the HDHomeRun but for component it would be very cool.
>
> From what I have read, the chance of such a device being produced and sold
> at an affordable price to consumers is extremely low because of the high
> bandwidth and processing effort required for HD signals.  We'd be talking
> broadcast quality video systems.
>
> Well, Moore's Law is powerful, so never say never...  but it would be a
> good
> few years away.

We've been reading that for long enough that a few of those years have
passed.  There is already one company selling a sub $1000 analog capture
card ( http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/hd/).   If they can offer
it to video production professionals for under $1000, that probably means
sub $500 consumer models are theoretically possible right now.

--
TV/IT Engineer
WCJB-TV Gainesville, FL
cribe at wcjb.com