[mythtv] Strange issues with MPEG channels on QAM

Asher freedenizen at gmail.com
Mon Jul 9 14:38:38 UTC 2007

On 2/12/07, Daniel Kristjansson <danielk at cuymedia.net> wrote:
> On Sun, 2007-02-11 at 01:51 -0500, Joshua M Thompson wrote:
> > The problem areas seem to occur where Comcast has inserted local
> > advertisements in the stream. When they occur Myth seems to lose sync
> > with the stream. When this happens the front end spits out thousands of
> > lines like this:
> >
> > [mpeg2video @ 0x108ba24]get_buffer() failed (stride changed)
> >
> > Sometimes it recovers, sometimes it aborts back to the recording screen,
> > and on occasion it just crashes.
> >
> > Has anyone else seen this? I checked Google and Trac and couldn't find
> > any other mention of this. I'm running SVN 12770 but this has been
> > happening ever since I started recording these channels many many SVN
> > revisions ago.
>
> I've seen this. It happened in a strangely encoded movie
> I recorded a few weeks ago. And it happened when switching
> from the cable company add back to the network stream.
>
> I kept the recording, but I haven't had a chance to look at
> it yet. My guess is that there is an aspect ratio or resolution
> change we don't handle for some reason.

I hate to revive such an old thread but I couldn't find a more recent
one referencing this problem.  I just started seeing this problem on
comcast as well, also around some commercial breaks.  My recordings
are off of a HDTV5500 card though not the HDHomeRun.  It causes the
frontend to crash during playback, it looks like the same errors are
get generated on the backend during commflagging but it doesn't cause
the commflag to crash.  What would be helpful for troubleshooting
this?