[mythtv] DVB + ./configure

Daniel Kristjansson danielk at cuymedia.net
Sun Jul 8 20:56:04 UTC 2007

On Sun, 2007-07-08 at 16:38 -0400, R. G. Newbury wrote:
> > Daniel Kristjansson wrote:
> >> Does anyone object to me making ./configure default to
> >> enabling DVB when it finds the DVB headers?
> >>
> >> This was disabled by default because some old DVB headers
> >> would break the compile, but kernels with working headers
> >> have been shipping for two years now.
<snip>
> And anything which a computer can reasonably do, it should do. One of
> those things is looking for the headers, and not forcing the user to
> spelunk the unexplored corners of /usr/.....

The configure script has looked for the headers for years, the
problem was that the headers used to include some other headers
which sometimes included some other headers which sometimes included
some other headers which on certain systems eventually
broke the compile. Also when there were headers which allowed
MythTV to compile they often didn't include support for ATSC
cards, so most of our DVB driver using userbase would compile
it, ignore the compile and run time warnings, and then report
a nonexistent bug. Checking for this in the configure script
would have essentially meant compiling MythTV within
the ./configure script which doesn't fall into the 'reasonable'
bin for me :) In theory, a test application could have been
developed that we could have compiled instead, but this didn't
seem like a good use of our time.

-- Daniel