[mythtv] Digital sound out debugging

Lawrence Freil lef at freil.com
Wed Jan 31 13:24:12 UTC 2007

Peter,

I have to done some digital output debugging recently so maybe I can help.
My problem turned out to be a new "feature" in the Radeon video driver that
was cause Myth/X to use so much CPU it couldn't quite keep up with HDTV.
This will teach me to not update a bunch of drivers at the same time!.
In the process I did figure out how at least the low level driver works.

The audio output drivers are in libs/libmyth and the file you are mostly
interested in is audiooutputalsa.cpp and the header associated with it.
You can start seeing what the audio is doing by running mythfrontend with
"-v audio".  This adds displays of several of the interesting parameters
with regard to setup.  I added some additional verbose output in the
attached diff file.  The code used is very similar to aplay when used
with memory mapped mode with a few exceptions.  The myth driver regularly
polls the device to see how much space the card has available and only calls
the write routine (WriteAudio) when it will not block.  The things most
likely to cause problems with digital audio are rate (a lot of cards require
48K samples, I have a rate plugin to fix my mythmusic) and underruns.
One possible way to debug the sample rate/bits and other data issues is to
open a file in the alsa driver and write all the audio samples to the file
at the same time writing to the alsa driver.   You can then try the raw
samples with aplay and determine if it is a format issue.  Also as one test
I modified the driver to not use mmap sound.  This didn't fix my problem
but also didn't introduce any new ones.  You could try this and see if it
relates to a memory mapping issue in alsa.  Also try aplay with the mmap
option.

Hope this helps.