[mythtv] Compiling from SVN odd error

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Sun Jan 28 17:08:43 UTC 2007

Daniel Kristjansson wrote:
> On Sat, 2007-01-27 at 11:28 -0700, Justin Luitjens wrote:
>> I did uninstall all the myth vendor packages.
>>
>> But according to the wiki at
>> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Upgrading_To_SVN
>>
>> the vendor libmyth is needed
>
> Like many things in the wiki, this is incorrect.
> But they then go on to do this:
>  ./configure --prefix=/usr
>  qmake PREFIX=/usr mythtv.pro
>
> Which will overwrite the libmyth they installed from the
> vendor libs. I don't know why this guide goes through
> so much pain to install things in the wrong place for
> a local install, perhaps it was written by someone
> maintaining vendor packages. Get rid of all the
> "/usr" or "/usr/bin" stuff and the libmyth vendor
> package install and the guide should work for you.

I have revised the 'Upgrading to SVN' and the 'Installing Mythtv SVN on
Fedora Core' wiki pages to clarify what is being done and why the two
pages seem to disagree.
The 'Upgrading' page requires an  un-install first, as it then installs
SVN in /usr.
The 'Fedora' page now notes that you can have both installed, and the
SVN install will go into /usr/local ...as it should...

Geoff