[mythtv] glibc problems - mythbackend crash

Daniel Kristjansson danielk at cuymedia.net
Sat Jan 27 16:07:08 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-01-27 at 05:39 -0800, Mark Knecht wrote:
> Hi,
>    I sent the following message to this list some time ago but didn't
> receive any responses so I'm trying again. mythbackend crashes once a
> week with this sort of error.
>
>    Please see the earlier emails for complete examples of the crash.
> I've posted just a bit of it here.

Hmm, it looks like you've run out of memory. What version of
the ivtv drivers are you using?

You might want to try something 0.7.x or earlier, assuming
you are using a more recent driver. Some later versions of
the driver can allocate multi-gigabyte chunks of RAM if they
see an application written for an earlier version of the
driver.

Alternatively try SVN head, which has a partial fix now.
Or try SVN head in a week or two when it should detect
the API version of the ivtv driver before to use it in
any serious way.

Note: This may not be your problem, the video file you
were playing looks like it may have been corrupt. This
could also overwrite memory, you can confirm the ivtv
issue by seeing if your backend memory usage jumps
significantly when recordings start.

-- Daniel