[mythtv] Plextor ConvertX Transcoding

Austin Roberts mythtv at ausiv.com
Thu Jan 25 02:08:06 UTC 2007

Hi,
I'm new to the developer mailing list, so I hope you'll all bare with me. I
have a Plextor ConvertX PX-TV402u external MPEG4 tuner. Recording shows on
this tuner works fine, but when I try to transcode the shows (lossless or
otherwise) to remove commercials, the video winds up garbled. I've found
that sometimes I can find a point in the video where everything appears
normal, then back up or step through the video and everything appears fine,
so I know the video is intact at some level. I suspect it is an issue with
keyframes. I know from the user mailing list that this is an issue for
others with this tuner. I filed this ticket (
http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/2854) a few weeks ago, but there has been
no indication that anyone is working on a fix.

I am a computer science student, and I've been looking to become more
actively involved with the open source community. I would like to see about
fixing this problem myself, but I don't know where to begin. I assume this
is a problem with either the Nupplevideo container, or the MPEG4 video. If
someone could point me towards some information on these formats, I'd be
happy to try and develop a patch, but I need some help knowing where to
start.

Thanks for any help,

-Austin