[mythtv] NOTICE: XMLTV support changes

Mattias Holmlund mattias.holmlund at gmail.com
Sat Jan 20 14:56:38 UTC 2007

On 1/20/07, Roo <roo.watt at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have tracked this down to tv_find_grabbers requiring that the installed
> grabbers support BOTH the --capabilities and --description command line
> options for the installed grabber to be reported as installed.
> The grabber I was setting up, tv_grab_au_reg, supported the --capabilties
> but did not support the --description option and consequently was not
> reported as installed by tv_find_grabbers.

The --capabilities option is used to let a grabber tell an application
which features the grabber supports. If the grabber reports
'baseline', it means that the grabber shall support a defined set of
command-line options.

This is documented on

http://xmltv.org/wiki/xmltvcapabilities.html

Unfortunately, I just noticed that that page does not include the
--description option. I forgot to update that page when we added
--description to all grabbers in the xmltv distribution. I will update
that page to include the --description option as well.

By the way, the xmltv-distribution includes a validation script that
can check if a grabber is compliant to the specification at the above
page. Run it like this:

tv_validate_grabber /usr/bin/tv_grab_au_reg

It will report that the grabber does not implement --description.

/Mattias

> Maybe the section in the doco on mythbackend config should make note that
> all xmltv grabbers found by tv_find_grabbers will be added to the selections
> for video sources.
>
> I am posting this on the myth list for anyone else that may be trying to
> track down the same problem and I am also forwarding this to the developer
> of tv_grab_au_reg.
>

> Cheers,
>
> Roo.

Mattias Holmlund