[mythtv] Whats the deal with usability

Bert Haverkamp bert at bertenselena.net
Tue Jan 16 20:50:57 UTC 2007

Just to add my 2 cents..

I think most commenters are right. Setting up mythtv is _very_ doable for a
medium-experienced linux user.
However I find that the user interface is not always as intuitive as it
could be. Mythtv is a great piece of software which is obviously programmed
with great dedication and love, but for an inexperienced end-user (read
girl-friend or wife) it is sometimes confusing

examples:

- It isnīt possible to setup a frontend to change the channels/frequencies.
When a cable-operator changes the channels, One has to go into mythweb or
the backend to make the changes in mythtv
- Mythmusic is not as intuitive as it could be. press 3 for playlist?? IMHO
it should have a left side menu like some other plugins.
- Even I get occationally lost in mythgallery, when I try to navigate the
folders while the menu is still activated. One can select a folder, but not
enter it. My wife got lost completely at that point.
- To rip a DVD to hardisk I have to press 0 to start the transcode daemon.
- mytharchive is still puzzling me. This userinterface definitely needs
improvement.

These are just some examples where I see friends and family fail to work
with mythtv. Some mythtv users/developers should do a usiblitiy review. KDE
once went throug this process. It really helped them separate the
programmers requirements from the users requirements and make a
as-userfriendly-as-possible. Why shouldnīt it work for mythtv.

2007/1/16, Carl Reynolds <mythtv-dev at hyperbole-software.com>:

> Imran K wrote:
>
> > This message is intended to be constuctive and light hearted.
> >
> > I am a linux/networking junkie who has tried most distro's on the
> > market and hacked up a few HDTV boxes.
> >
> Just out of curiosity, what did you use to set up the HDTV boxes you
> mentioned?
>

> Carl.

Bert en Selena
www.bertenselena.net