[mythtv] JobQueue Suggestion: Average Load of Backend

Blammo blammo.doh at gmail.com
Mon Jan 8 23:02:36 UTC 2007

I'll make this quick and easy. My primary system at home has (1)
dedicated backend, and two FE/SBE's. All machines have lots of
horsepower, and help out with commercial flagging. However, given that
my families watching habits vary from day to day, sometimes there will
be a couple flagging jobs running, which, for example, someone is
trying to watch a show. My only recourse, right now, is to block out
the times during the day, for both frontends, on the CHANCE that
someone might be watching something.

I've experimented with changing hours jobs can run, etc, but I had an
idea. Do something like sendmail/others do, and check average load of
a machine before deciding whether it will take a job.

Examples:
Frontend1 (single core machine, used a lot) : average load of 0.50 or
less, over a 5 minute period
Frontend2 (dual core machine, used less) : average load of 1.00 or
less, over a 5 minute period
Backend1 (4 cores, recording only) : average load of 2.00 or less,
over a 1 minute period.

Then you could set the allowed hours to 24/7 and any time there were
free cycles, jobs could be taken. If I sit down to watch some TV for a
couple hours, I could know that once the existing job (if there was
one running) ended, nothing else would run till i was done watching

Thoughts?