[mythtv] UK Freeview "Playback"

Tom Hughes tom at compton.nu
Fri Jan 5 12:30:26 UTC 2007

In message <c08cf2fc0701050419i7704dbe0ye07c4e4707de4af3 at mail.gmail.com>
        Chris Birkinshaw <lists at youspy.me.uk> wrote:

> 1. Series linking and split events (I have seen people are already
> working on this)

I think this will far and away the most useful thing, assuming of
course that the data isn't too full of errors... I hope that the
data gets published on the RT feed as well as in the EIT data, but
that might be asking a bit much.

> 2. Recording back to back events should not register a conflict (this
> was mentioned ages ago on this list - has it been looked at?)

Eh? Back to back events don't generate conflicts for me... Well not
unless I set hard padding for them anyway.

> 3. Recording start and stop needs to be controlled by the EITpf. i.e.
> start recording when the event to be recorded becomes the EITpf
> Present event, and stop when it disappears from the EITpf. Going on
> the billed time is not enough, as if a channel is running late the
> EITpf update will be delayed by the channel playout automation system.
> I have mentioned this loads of time on this list but never got any
> answer to my question. In the UK this would be hugely beneficial. No
> more missed ends/beginnings of recordings! NB. Note that if an event
> is still flagged as the present event in the pf for more than 2 hours
> after its billed stop time the recorder should terminate the
> recording.

I think you have far more faith in the ability of the broadcasters
to update this information that I do... If my experience of PDC is
anything to go by even the mainstream channels seem to find this a
challenge (the BBC were probably best) and I imagine most the lesser
channels will be utterly hopeless.

It also of course introduces whole new challenges with back to back
recordings on different channels - what if one channel indicates that
it is five minutes late and the other that it is five minutes early
and you want to switch from the late one to the early one for back
to back recordings ;-)

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (tom at compton.nu)