[mythtv] [mythtv-commits] mythtv commit: r12390 - in trunk/mythplugins by awithers

Chris Pinkham cpinkham at bc2va.org
Fri Jan 5 06:13:04 UTC 2007

* On Thu Jan 04, 2007 at 10:02:07PM -0800, Bruce Markey wrote:
> I'm starting to see that rip a DVD belongs with mythvideo. If
> playing a DVD could be an separate lightweight plugin selection
> without any of the rip/transcode dependencies, that may be a
> Good Thing.

Sticking my nose in....  :)

If playing a DVD is so lightweight and has little to do with
ripping a DVD or MythVideo, then why not just have a
libmyth or mythfrontend PlayDVD() function that would play a
DVD?  The Internal player is already in libmythtv, so there would
be no plugin required for people who just want to play DVDs.
The added compile time would be minimal if it truly is such
lightweight code.  Leave the ripping and playback of other
files to MythVideo and just have a simple "Play DVD" button
on the default menu set.  No plugins required.

--
Chris