[mythtv] MHEG-5 support for New Zealand Profile

David Matthews dm at prolingua.co.uk
Wed Feb 28 11:26:58 UTC 2007

Steven Ellis wrote:
> On Wed, February 28, 2007 10:34 am, Steven Ellis wrote:
>> Ok I've done done a build with key code 300 mapped to F2 which produced
>> some additional output. You can see the details at
>> http://www.mythtv.co.nz/mythtv/?p=34 along with the verbose output from
>> the frontend.
>>
>> This resulted in a Loading message being displayed, but no additional
>> feedback or output was present.
>>
>> Now it appears that they have modified the UK MHEG 1.0.6 profile
>> slightly here for NZ. For example there are 3 new register sets (13-15)
>> that need to be supported. Plus we need to support Maori characters.
>
> Dont a little bit more digging looking at the ASSERT messages in the logs
> because it appears the MHEG code makes two requests that aren't currently
> implemented in the MythTV MHEG-5 stack. I've updated the details on the
> http://mythtv.co.nz site, but for now I think I need to have another read
> of the UK 1.0.6 spec.

I've had a look at your logs and it does appear that it is using a
couple of "resident programs" that aren't currently implemented.  These
are among the things that aren't actually used in current MHEG in the
UK.  Generally I didn't implement features if I couldn't test them.  It
should be fairly easy to implement CCR, BSI will probably require some
more work.  I'll see what I can do and send you a patch to try.

It looks like you are not using a recent version of myth.  The ASSERTs
were replaced by more useful error messages in svn 12420.  It would be
better to upgrade to the latest svn.  That will make applying patches
easier.

Do you have details of the input event register sets?  How do the keys
on the NZ remote compare with the remote shown in the UK profile?  It's
important to know exactly which keys are included in each set.  As a
first guess I'd say that 13, 14 and 15 correspond to the UK's 3, 4 and 5
but with different codes for the colour keys.

Myth uses the FreeSans font for MHEG.  Provided the glyphs for Maori are
in the font and the broadcaster is sending correct UTF-8 this shouldn't
be a problem.

David.