[mythtv] Is anyone using osx-packager.pl on OS X with x86?

Devin Heitmueller devin.heitmueller at gmail.com
Sun Feb 25 17:05:14 UTC 2007

Continuing to debug this.

Question:  Where are you guys building the code in terms of the disk/filesystem?

I am seeing an interesting behavior difference between UFS and HFS+
that might be relevant.  The whole root of my problem seems to be
cases where dylib files have symlinks that point to nothing.

-rwxr-xr-x   1 devinhei  devinhei  730420 Feb 19 21:59
libmythfreemheg-0.20.0.20.0.dylib
lrwxr-xr-x   1 devinhei  devinhei       0 Feb 19 21:59
libmythfreemheg-0.20.0.20.dylib ->
lrwxr-xr-x   1 devinhei  devinhei       0 Feb 19 21:59
libmythfreemheg-0.20.0.dylib ->
lrwxr-xr-x   1 devinhei  devinhei       0 Feb 19 21:59
libmythfreemheg-0.20.dylib ->

On my system, I have HFS+ for the main partition, which because of
case sensitivity results in osx-packager.pl creating a UFS partition.

This is where things get interesting.  The ln command behaves
differently on UFS then on HFS+

For example, on UFS creating a symlink to an empty file does the following:

devin-heitmuellers-computer-2:~/mythtv4/.osx-packager
devinheitmueller$ ln -s "" foo
devin-heitmuellers-computer-2:~/mythtv4/.osx-packager devinheitmueller$ ls -l
total 8
drwxr-xr-x    9 devinhei  devinhei  1024 Feb 20 00:51 build
lrwxr-xr-x    1 devinhei  devinhei     0 Feb 25 11:53 foo ->
drwxr-xr-x   10 devinhei  devinhei  1024 Feb 20 00:54 src
drwxr-xr-x    2 devinhei  devinhei  2048 Feb 25 11:31 tmp

However, do the same thing on HFS+ and you get the following:

devin-heitmuellers-computer-2:~/mythtv4 devinheitmueller$ ln -s "" foo
ln: foo: Invalid argument

While I don't see any cases of attempting to create an empty symlink
in the makefile verbose output, this could be related to my issue,
which is where I see these empty symlink files.

Has anyone seen anything like this before?  Are those of you doing
builds with osx-packager.pl using the UFS filesystem setup by the
tool?

Thanks,

--
Devin J. Heitmueller