[mythtv] Changeset 12847 - Add TS support to mythtranscode

Paul Harrison mythtv at dsl.pipex.com
Thu Feb 22 21:04:50 UTC 2007

Geoffrey Hausheer wrote:
> I finally committed the capability to write out TS streams in
> mythtranscode (using mpeg2mpeg transcoding).  However, I've seen
> changes to this code relating to mythreplex in the past.  I have no
> idea what that utility is, as it doesn't seem to live in myth anywhere
> (or at least I can't find it).  It is likely that some minor changes
> will be needed it it actually links against libreplex (I'd expect it
> to continue to build ok, but I'm not sure if it will actually function
> properly).     Can anyone tell me how to build mythreplex or who owns
> it so I can make sure it gets updated if needed?
>
> Also, if you are interested in this capability, make sure to read the
> changelog.  It seems to be working well, but there is still quite a
> bit of work to do.
>
> Thanks,
> .Geoff

I was the one who made the changes to get it to compile as a standalone
executable. Its actually just the old replex utility that you used as
the base for libreplex. It is compiled and installed as part of the
regular mythtv install. I use it in MythArchive to demux mpeg2 files.

One change I did make to mythreplex was to work around a problem when
mythtranscode is used to remove commercials from an mpeg2 file and  then
mythreplex is the used to split the file. After each cut the audio gets
further and further out of sync. My understanding from an explanation
from Daniel is that the length (in time) of the audio and video packets
don't always match up at the cut points. mythtranscode must allow for
this by changing the time codes around cut points because the resulting
file plays fine but when the file is split these differences add up and
after 5 or more cuts there is quite a noticeable sync difference. Is
there any way mythtrancode could keep track of these differences and
compensate for them so the hack in mythreplex to compensate could be
removed?

Paul H.

Paul H.