[mythtv] OSD displays utf8 fonts incorrectly - bug?

Dave M G martin at autotelic.com
Thu Feb 15 22:49:51 UTC 2007

MythTV Developers,

A further detail about the problem with displaying utf8 encoded
characters correctly.

I noticed this output from "mythtvbackend":

2007-02-15 12:53:42.001 Finished recording ピンポン!: channel 1006
2007-02-15 12:56:50.297 Expiring ????? from Thu Feb 15 11:00:00 2007, 6
MBytes, forced expire (LiveTV recording)

If your email client can read the above utf8 characters correctly, you
will see that the Japanese characters in the first line display
correctly. But in the second line, the Japanese displays as question marks.

Because of this and my experience in general, I think that this is the
flow of utf8 text through the MythTV system:

1. Shows downloaded via xmltv -> 2. imported into MySQL with
mythfilldatabase ->3. moved from "program" related tables to "recorded"
related tables ->4. expired from database.

I believe there is a problem after step 3 and before step 4, and that
the OSD settings, after having changed a channel, use data picked up at
this point.

So far as I can tell, all the Japanese characters are stored correctly
in every part of the database, so the problem is one of reading from it.

Does this interpretation of events within the MythTV system seem correct?

--
Dave M G
Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy Eft