[mythtv] "A", "An", and "The" for sorting - ticket 3048

Joshua M Thompson funaho at jurai.org
Sun Feb 11 05:59:33 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-02-05 at 22:55 -0500, brian wrote:
> Matt wrote:
> > I don't believe "An" or "A" should be stripped when sorting.  I also
> > noticed this in mythmusic.  For example... the Band named "A Perfect
> > Circle" isn't refered to as "Perfect Circle".  Also, I believe "An"
> > should be in the same boat.
>
>    In musical group names, I would agree... but not in TV & Movie
> titles.  "A", "An", and "The" should not be considered when sorting
> these titles.

My only grip is that sometimes it's not always obvious, like when I
recently wasted quite a bit of time trying to figure out why MythVideo
was seemingly ignoring my fresh DVD rip of "An Inconvenient Truth",
until I finally realized it was sorted under "I". To me the "An" in this
case is an important part of the title and I could easily imagine a
totally different movie called "Inconvenient Truth."

(and speaking of letters will Video Manager ever allow me to hit a
letter and jump to that part of the list? I have something like 5,100
videos and scrolling to anything that's not near the beginning or end of
the list is an exercise in extreme frustration...)

--
Joshua M Thompson <funaho at jurai.org>