[mythtv] Building without X dependancies...

Trey Boudreau trey at treysoft.com
Thu Feb 8 15:59:16 UTC 2007

On Thu, Feb 08, 2007 at 02:53:07PM +0000, richard at mawson.org.uk wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 07, 2007 at 08:49:24AM +1100, Nigel Pearson wrote:
> > > Perhaps I don't understand the capabilities though. Should mythtv be
> > > able to display ALL its menus as well as live tv and recordings direct
> > > on a PVR-350 framebuffer device without X installed or being
> > > redirected
> > > to another X server?
> >
> > Theoretically? Yes. Have I ever succeeded? No
>
> Is anyone out there playing with mythfrontend in xen DomU? I can't
> believe I'm the only one... It would be nice to know this isn't
> completely untrodden ground...

Do you have a driver that will give you access to the PVR-350 from a
DomU?  You will need a Xen FrontendDriver for the DomU and a
BackendDriver for the Dom0 or DeviceDomain.  I suppose you could give
control over the PVR-350 to the mythtv DomU.  Have you verified that it
will work with something that uses directfb (like one of the test/demo
apps from directfb)?  Even if this works it may not have sufficiently
low latency to handle video playback.

-- Trey