[mythtv] Request: MythHelp

Stuart Morgan stuart at tase.co.uk
Wed Feb 7 18:00:35 UTC 2007

On Wednesday 7 February 2007 17:16, usleepless at gmail.com wrote:
> > Just to note, removing those size()/isActive() calls will do nothing to
> > improve performance or stability.
>
> no, but using postgresql might ( mysql blocking on locked tables ).

I should point out the lock contention is not a mysql problem, but a MyISAM
one. Other engines used by mysql, such as InnoDB don't have this issue.

It's also fair to point out that many of the things people dislike about MySQL
are simply aspects of MyISAM and shouldn't be confused.

MyISAM is faster than postgre, but I've no idea how innodb compares. Innodb is
slower than MyISAM but is designed with better data integrity and as it
shares many features with postgre it may be comparable in speed.

When it comes to mythtv, speed is often preferable.
--
Stuart Morgan