[mythtv] [ivtv-users] PVR-350 and MythTV support

Erik Mouw mouw at nl.linux.org
Wed Feb 7 17:46:35 UTC 2007

On Wed, Feb 07, 2007 at 10:07:28AM -0500, Ricardo Lugo wrote:
> On Feb 6, 2007, at 10:04 AM, Jeff Simpson wrote:
>
> > #3, Framebuffer is slow slow slow slow, and it EATS cpu. I have a 3ghz
> > machine, but the menus are still slow. I often find the X session
> > using 50 or 60% of my cpu, just SITTING there. Forget trying to run it
> > at the same time as another X session, it jumps to a full 100%.
> > Playing anything that isn't a native mpeg2 video makes the system
> > crawl.
>
> Yup, writing directly to the framebuffer is slow. And yes, it is the
> main source of problems with the OSD in Myth.

What OSD problems? Curious, cause I haven't had any so far.

> That's why the 350 framebuffer support should be taken out of Myth,
> not the entire support for the PVR-350.

If that means that you can't use a PVR-350 to display both menu and
video, I don't agree. It's one of the major advantages of the 350: one
card does all.

Erik

--
They're all fools. Don't worry. Darwin may be slow, but he'll
eventually get them. -- Matthew Lammers in alt.sysadmin.recovery