[mythtv] Request: MythHelp

Stuart Morgan stuart at tase.co.uk
Wed Feb 7 09:39:05 UTC 2007

On Wednesday 7 February 2007 08:33, usleepless at gmail.com wrote:
> so to sum it up: you are blaming this guy of exactly the thing i blame
> you guys: arrogance.
>
> it wouldn't be so bad if you guys actually knew proper database design and
> ipc.
>
> instead time is wasted on "hickups" because a lousy database is used,
> with a lousy schema. threads are created to work around the problems
> that arise. ipc is done with ordinary variables and busywait loops (
> while(!done) usleep(50); is just a context-switch banger ). calling
> query.isActive() && query.size()>0 && query.next() is just plain
> overkill.
>
> i refrained myself from contributing due to this "attitude". i know i
> am not alone on this one.
>
> ask yourself how this "attitude" is helpfull.

usleepless, your attitude is even worse.

Rather than attacking the developers, criticising our work and telling us how
it could be done better, why don't you contribute code instead?

Those who really intend on contributing to mythtv sit down and write patches,
they don't come to the mailing list to ask for features or complain about the
way something has been done. I see lots of patches being added to trac by
people who have never posted once in the mailing lists - they just get on
with it!

When we see someone regularly asking for features without having bothered to
write patches then yes, we get irritated and we make it known. If we didn't
do that, there would be far more time-wasters on this list and you really
can't argue any different.

As individuals we all have our own styles, methods and of addressing certain
problems in our code so improvements can often be made and patches are
welcome. We don't guarantee to accept a patch but if you provide a good
reasoned argument to go along with it, then it stands a better chance.

As a collective group of developers when we say that (for example), mysql is
the right solution, then it is because we've given a lot of time and
discussion to the subject. If you disagree, then read the past discussions
and offer a better solution we haven't already dismissed.
--
Stuart Morgan