[mythtv] "A", "An", and "The" for sorting - ticket 3048

Matt skd5aner at gmail.com
Tue Feb 6 03:06:16 UTC 2007

Stuart and Ylee (and other devs),

I saw this when browsing the commits log today:
http://mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-commits/2007-February/025915.html

"(In [12723]) Ignore 'An' along with 'The' and 'A' in the programme finder.

 Closes #3048"

I don't believe "An" or "A" should be stripped when sorting.  I also
noticed this in mythmusic.  For example... the Band named "A Perfect
Circle" isn't refered to as "Perfect Circle".  Also, I believe "An"
should be in the same boat.

However, I still believe that "The" should be ignored in sorting.
This is traditionally how the majority of media players sort their
playlists.  iTunes, WMP, etc.

What does everyone else think?

Thanks!
Matt