[mythtv] Questions on housekeeper thread

Tue Feb 6 00:27:20 UTC 2007

Hi,

   Two questions on how the housekeeper thread that runs
mythfilldatabase should behave (i.e. "how do we want it to behave",
not "how does it currently behave").  At present two times are
supplied and MFD is supposed to be called 'between' those two times.
(I have an orthogonal patch in #2194, but it looks like it is going
to reveal these old issues.)

   i) In current behaviour the times are inclusive by hour.  So if
you specify 2pm and 4pm as the times between which you want MFD
called, then you could get it being called at 4:30pm.  If that is
changed so that the end-hour is exclusive, then you wouldn't get MFD
being called at 4:30pm.  The down-side on that change is that some
people want to be able to specify a particular hour in which to call
MFD.  e.g.  If you specify 3pm and 3pm, does that mean that MFD can
run at 3:30pm or that MFD should not be run at all?

   General consensus from the list last time this was discussed was
that we should leave things as they are.

   ii) At the moment the code is written to call MFD after the start
time, and before the end time.  If the end time is before the start
time then MFD will not be run.  This makes it impossible to say that
you want to run MFD in the middle of the night, between 11pm and
1am.  If you put in a start time of 11pm and an end time of 1am,
there are no times on an individual day that are after 11pm and
before 1am, and MFD will not be run.  This would seem like a good bug
to fix.

Any objections?

Will         :-}