[mythtv] question about speeds - speedinc vs fast forward

Ronald Frazier ron at ronfrazier.net
Fri Dec 28 01:14:39 UTC 2007

I was doing a little work on tv_play.cpp, fixing some bugs with the
network control interface and adding some customizability with respect
to playback speeds and repositioning amounts. In the process, I
noticed that fast forwarding and the speedinc button use different
intervals. Fast forwarding currently uses speeds of 3, 5, 10, 20, 30,
60, 120, and 180, and allows you to customize the speed via DB
settings. The speedinc feature, on the other hand, uses speeds of 2,
4, 8, and 16, and is NOT customizable.

Myself, I've never used the speedinc feature before, and I'm not sure
how it is intended to be used. Is it intentional that these 2 features
use different speed steppings? I could choose to either consolidate it
with the fast forward speeds (so they share a common set of speeds),
or I could leave it on its own and allow it to be customized
separately. Any opinions?