[mythtv] Why doesn't MythVideo's Video Manager run mythcommflag?

Chris Pinkham cpinkham at bc2va.org
Thu Dec 27 14:54:44 UTC 2007

* On Thu Dec 27, 2007 at 11:10:41AM +0000, Stuart Morgan wrote:
> On Thursday 27 December 2007 04:55:57 faginbagin wrote:
> > It seems to me that I would have never had either problem, if only Video
> > Manager ran mythcommflag after it created database entries for my
> > imported .vob files. Hence my question:
> >
> > Why doesn't MythVideo's Video Manager run mythcommflag?
>
> The answer is that no-one has written the code yet.
>
> As far as I know, mythcommflag --rebuild has be superceeded by
> mythtranscode --buildindex.

Not really, mythtranscode --buildindex just works on ?most? ?mpeg-ps?
files and not on .nuv.

> There may be formats that one can handle but the
> other can't and vice-versa.

Correct.  nuv == mythcommflag, mpeg-?s == mythtranscode.  This is due
to the issue that ticket 1088 http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/1088
should solve.  After 1088 is completed, then mythcommflag should work
for all files since it uses the seektable built by myth's internal
decoder.  mythtranscode's --buildindex code is about 20 lines in
total, it just uses libavformat to read through the file and
build a list of keyframes.  It would be trivial for someone to move
that code over to mythcommflag so that mythcommflag's --rebuild would
work for mpeg-?s files until 1088 is completed.

>We would need to settle on a single application
> and method if either mythvideo or mythfrontend were going to build seek
> tables automatically or manually through the UI.

Once mythcommflag can do it, then the plan was to modify the JobQueue to
give it the abilty to run seektable rebuild jobs.  That's part of the
reason for the 'args' column in the jobqueue table.  The 'args' value isn't
used right now, but giving the JobQueue the ability to rebuild indexes
was one of the things in my mind when I created the JobQueue.

--
Chris