[mythtv] Improving 50Hz video on a 60Hz display

James Buckley xanium4332 at googlemail.com
Mon Dec 24 14:02:38 UTC 2007

Hi all.

Now that we have the opengl renderer. I was thinking of some possible ways
of improving playback of video with non-matching refresh rates. There are
cases where it is not possible to achieve a perfect resolution match, and I
know it'll never be possible to get absolute smooth playback, but I was
thinking of possible method to get 50Hz video looking more smooth on a 60Hz
display.

Now I don't know too much on how the opengl playback method works, but I
guess that with it we can use many of the features provided by opengl (at
the expensive of gfx card processing). At the moment playing 50Hz video on a
60Hz display causes some frames to be duplicated (to make up the missing
time). However I was thinking that maybe 2 frames could be 'mixed' together,
by setting each frame to have a transparency level. The alpha level could be
dynamic, which would allow to be adjusted per frame to achieve the best
possible picture.

Also, Windows Media Center handles this quite well, I was wondering if
anyone knew how it was done.

Would just like to hear peoples thoughts on this...

Cheers,
James Buckley