[mythtv] DVB-C scan is messed up in MythTV

Stuart Auchterlonie stuarta at squashedfrog.net
Tue Dec 11 09:56:39 UTC 2007

I've been doing a bit of thinking about this, and these
are my thoughts on a technical design to resolve this.

Put an option in the scanner setup screen with the
following options "Auto" (default), "Terrestrial",
"Satellite", "Cable".

Auto operates as the scanner does now and inferrs all
the required information from the tables present on the
transport.

The three specific types allow the scanner to be given
knowledge from the user about what sort of transport
they should be expecting. So if it's set to Cable and
we see Satellite descriptors then the data in those
tables are clearly bogus. In this case we must trust
whatever information we get back from the card and
use that for the multiplex information

Additionally, it seems in numerous countries they do
rude things like make the users input their networkID
so that the STB can then pull out the correct streams.

I don't believe it would be particularly difficult to
support this type of configuration.

Stuart