[mythtv] MythTV on Windows

Charles Mason charlie.mas at gmail.com
Wed Dec 5 21:39:47 UTC 2007

On Dec 5, 2007 9:26 PM, Kevin Kuphal <kuphal at dls.net> wrote:

> On Dec 5, 2007 3:22 PM, Charles Mason <charlie.mas at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > On Dec 5, 2007 8:47 PM, Jochen Kühner <jochen.kuehner at gmx.de> wrote:
> > > there is also mythtvplayer for windows...
> > >

> > Its true but its not the same as a proper "10 foot" / "from the sofa"
> > GUI. Its like comparing Windows Media Player with Windows Media
> > Center, they are designed to do different things despite the fact they
> > both basically just play video.
> >
> > Thats not to say mythtvplayer & VLC + Tapeworm don't have there place.
> > They are very handy for quickly accessing a single recording. But its
> > not the same as being able to get the Frontend on every major platform
> > Linux, Mac and Windows.
> >
> > The Backend is not so important because people tend to use another
> > machine dedicated as a backend or some times as a set top box. Either
> > way they can choose what ever OS they want to use.
>

> I'm waiting patiently for the backend services.  I recently bought a great
> deal on an HP media center machine for my desktop and it includes a
> Hauppague HD tuner.  I know it will be hard to get this working in Linux due
> to lack of drivers so I'd love to have a mini-backend service I can run on
> the Windows box as an overflow tuner rather than building yet another
> backend just for one more card.  My current backend is all out of PCI
> slots...

If thats a dedicated backend and you have already filled all the PCI
slots thats probably a lot of tuners already. I had a similar problem
with my backend although the RAID card and gig Ethernet card also take
up slots and its a mini atx board anyway.

My solution USB 2, the DVB-T tuner I wanted to add is just as good via
USB 2 and only slightly more expensive. Still you don't get the same
selection of USB 2 tunners compared to PCI ones tuners.

Charlie M