[mythtv] Official Thread: Mythtv.org Redesign

Stuart Morgan stuart at tase.co.uk
Tue Dec 4 10:12:20 UTC 2007

On Monday 03 December 2007 04:00:56 Chris Petersen wrote:
> Jonatan Lundin wrote:
> > Here is my design contribution:
> > http://files.ettention.se/mythTV/mockups/mockup-1.png
> >
> > I did this mockup last night so it's only a first draw, but I'd like to
> > see what you think.

As pretty as this mockup is, it's not practical for an easily maintainable
webpage. Gradients, drop shadows and rounded corners can't be done with HTML
and CSS, so it would have to be done with dozens of carefully placed images.
It's fine to have a small amount of these things, but using them all
throughout the design won't work.

Chris asked me to take a stab at some images for his design and this (very
quick) mockup is what I've come up with:
http://www.miffteevee.co.uk/imagebin/newmyth_idea11.png
I've taken the original idea and made a subtle attempt to polish it.

It's not a finished concept. The repeating of the same download icon isn't
ideal and a couple of the other icons could use some work. The screenshots
are just placeholders for a larger screenshot, or some image which represents
what mythtv does. The rounded corners are in CSS which doesn't work in
anything but Firefox and Safari but they can easily be done with images to
produce smoother results which work everywhere.

The html version of this mockup is here but you are warned that Konq has an
alpha bug and only Firefox can handle the corners:
http://www.miffteevee.co.uk/newmyth.html
--
Stuart Morgan