[mythtv] Official Thread: Mythtv.org Redesign

Chris Petersen lists at forevermore.net
Mon Dec 3 08:00:34 UTC 2007

Robert Johnston wrote:
> Agreed for that mockup. Also, the background fade really isn't too
> feasible for the web (how/where is it positioned, how to make it work
> with different screen sizes etc.)

You can still do something basic to fade in/out of the page..  just
can't do both.

> Why modify the screenshots (And add a whole 'nother layer of
> complexity with IM)? A CSS background-image would work just as well.
> Unless you mean for some kind of "Shine" CRT-Screen-Pillow effect.

Modify the thumbnails, not the screenshots themselves.  Just to have
something nice-looking rather than a box-shaped image.  And I'd want to
use IM because it's easier to automate creation of thumbnails like that
(a little "skew" plus "composite") and let people easily update the
master screenshots than to have to teach all of the web-content editors
how to maintain their own thumbnails.

Sort of like the TV image in the lower left here:

    http://forevermore.net/mythtv/mockups/jeanphilippe.png

With the screenshot automagically placed within the frame of the TV.

> I like the design, a lot. But I think the top two boxes (What is
> MythTV and Quicklinks) need... something.

Definitely.  I just wanted to get the layout set out so that the more
graphically-inclined people at least have a framework to work in.

> I think the "Quicklinks" could be attached to the header. IE,
> displayed below the header, but scrolling with the page, with a black
> background, and a curve on the bottom-left, like a "Dropdown" from the
> header. I'll see what I can do with mocking that up.

Probably not a great idea in practice..  Visually, the header and footer
are separate from the rest of the page.  With a little shading, they'd
be visually beneath it in altitude (i.e. deeper or further away from the
viewer by a few pixels).  Plus, the header/footer are constants
throughout the site so you wouldn't want the quicklinks to become part
of that "feel" if it only exists in one page.

> I'm not sure what we could do with the "What is MythTV" box, though.

That's sort of why I like the top portion of Lundin's mockup.  It does
something nice with those two boxes together to make them stand out.
I'm just not sure how it would look without the menu next to the bloggy
stuff below, as it would end up being because we need to separate the
newsblog from the menu.

-Chris