[mythtv] Mixed debug/release build

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Sat Aug 25 23:37:44 UTC 2007

On Sat, Aug 25, 2007 at 04:20:32PM -0700, Anduin Withers wrote:
> > Axel Thimm has separate .rpm files for symbols, too - I wonder how he
> > makes them
>
> They are made automatically during the rpm build, you can look at the rpm
> macros file to see how (%_enable_debug_packages is on by default, look where
> it is used to start).

As Anduin writes there is no special action I perform, these
subpackages containing the debug infomration are generated
automatically. gdb on Fedora/RHEL is patched to look at the package's
locations for symbols also, so when backtracing all one needs to do is
install the foo-debuginfo subpackage.

If you want to know what the magic behind this is, rpm's mechanism is
in these two files:

http://hg.rpm.org/rpm?f=8f9ea7816e01;file=scripts/find-debuginfo.sh
http://hg.rpm.org/rpm?f=f0f2ff6c8bfc;file=tools/debugedit.c

--