[mythtv] I'm back

Devin Heitmueller devin.heitmueller at gmail.com
Mon Aug 20 11:43:57 UTC 2007

Oh my God!  I'm not crazy!

Yeah, that was me who reported the problems with the symlinks being
messed up.  I spent a full three our four weekends trying to debug it.
 I installed a clean toolchain.  I did countless fresh builds.  I tore
apart the Makefiles, I replaced "ln" with my own version that would
log it's output.  I littered the Makefiles with "ls -l" at every point
I could.  I replaced "rm" with a bash script that would do "ls -l"
before and after.  I ruled out possible concurrency glitches in the
Makefile by doing "-j1".  I even ran the entire build process through
the OS X equivalent of strace.

The only lead I ever developed was an inconsistency in the behavior of
"ln -s" on UFS versus HFS+ volumes (I explained these findings in the
previous mailing list thread).

In the end I burned a good thirty hours trying to isolate the problem
and since this was my initial experience with MythTV, I gave up.  I
wasn't going to waste any more time trying to improve a platform I
couldn't even get to compile.

I sincerely hope you get to the bottom of the issue.  Please post to
the mailing list if you do.

Devin Heitmueller

On 8/18/07, David Abrahams <dave at boost-consulting.com> wrote:

> After a long hiatus, with my MacOSX mythtv installation having
> suffered some bitrot and gone nonfunctional on me, I decided to try
> rebuilding it using osx-packager.pl
>
> Getting everything (frontend and backend) built was only a very small
> ordeal ;-).  Two issues came up, FWIW:
>
>   * symlinks in $PREFIX/lib sometimes inexplicably ended up pointing
>     nowhere (i.e. ls -l just showed a right arrow with no target) and
>     worse yet, a second run wouldn't fix it because these ghost links
>     are immune to deletion by ln -fs.  Removing them by hand worked.
>
>   * I had to manually copy the AVCVideoServices framework into all the
>     bundles.  It looks like there are some lines in makebundle.sh you
>     can uncomment (and edit to update the framework version) to get
>     the same effect.
>
> My current problem is that, even though MythFillDatabase runs and I
> can watch get info from Zap2It and insert information into the
> database (with -v all), I have nothing in my program guide in
> MythFrontend.  Can anyone offer a hint about what's up?
>
> I've contributed some code in the past and I'm reporting bugs in this
> message, so I thought this might be the appropriate venue, but please,
> if you feel this is really a mythtv-users post, do let me know
> (politely).
>
> Thanks,
>
> --
> Dave Abrahams