[mythtv] [mythtv-commits] mythtv commit: r14131 by stuartm

Daniel Kristjansson danielk at cuymedia.net
Fri Aug 3 15:17:00 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-08-03 at 16:02 +0100, Stuart Morgan wrote:

> The default teletext/cc font can be reverted to freemono, my change
> was mostly aimed at improving the default look of the OSDs. We don't
> have CC over here and so I'm not sure whether a mono font is really
> acceptable aesthetically.

Captions for the hard-of-hearing have traditionally been in a
mono-spaced font, at least in the US and Europe. The point is
to be readable, not pretty. Subtitles for the language challenged
are generally in a prettier but harder to read font and may
even be image based. If you play a DVD and turn on the right
TT page or CC stream on your TV you will see an example of
captions, if you play a DVD and turn on the subtitles in the
DVD menus you will see examples of the image subtitles. Most
Hollywood DVD's have both.

> A third option would be to drop these settings entirely and hard-code the
> defaults. The OSD fonts are themable and so that setting seems redundant. Is
> demand for customisable CC fonts really that great?

Yeah, some people don't see as well as others. If you are losing
your hearing because your over 35, you might also be picky about
fonts. Also, in the US it's required by law that you allow people
to modify the caption fonts on recently manufactured TVs. So it's
obviously important to some people.

-- Daniel