[mythtv] MythWeb Flash

Chris Petersen lists at forevermore.net
Wed Apr 25 05:42:41 UTC 2007

Jean-Philippe Steinmetz wrote:
> First, while I agree with you its important to keep this as open
> source as possible there is a clear distinction that needs to be made
>  between the Flash IDE and Flex.

Actually, neither of these has anything to do with open source or not.
The only reason I'm hesitant to recommend something designed with
Adobe's tools is that they're not freely available to the majority of
people.  I also thought that Flex was an xml-based file format used by
Adobe, not some other application.

With that said, I honestly don't care what environment these tools are
developed under as long as there are files that I and others can access
later to make any minor edits as necessary.  This is why I suggested
Ming or OpenLaszlo as alternatives, since they would let linux users
access the source files without having to purchase/install both Windows
and any Adobe applications.

I know that there is an xml-based format used by Adobe, and if that is
compatible with Flash/Flex, it would be a good alternative that allows
small tweaks from within Linux, but still give access to the
higher-level functions provided by the full Flash IDE.

> What I will suggest in this regard is to develop a Flash player
> that's art is controlled via template which can be changed at
> runtime.

This seems to be the standard way to do things, and I agree that it's a
good idea.  However, I'm concerned by what you say about having to
product the artwork via the Flash IDE.  For instance, I'm pretty sure
that flvplayer.swf allows online specification of theme image files for
dynamic control of its appearance.

> 1. The ActionScript Sound class only supports mp3. Therefore must be
>  converted to this format in order to play through swf.

I was fairly certain that it had this limitation, and have no problem
working around this via ffmpeg or another inline conversion program.

> 2/3. In Flash, an FLV player is an FLV player. The difference between
>  a live stream and a pre-existing file is simply a parameter you
> would send the player. Parameters can be passed in to swf via HTML or
> URL reference so you can use the same swf file to drive the two
> sections.

Like Kormoc said, MythWeb already has rudimentary support via ffmpeg for
streaming recorded programs to an flv player (I just don't have an flv
player I can include with the code).

Eventually, the backend itself (or some related app) will do the
converting/streaming, which is what will give us access to the LiveTV
stream.

-Chris