[mythtv] Using my main mythtv box for development

Kevin Fox Kevin.Fox at pnl.gov
Mon Apr 23 16:11:36 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-04-23 at 01:02 +0100, Colin Guthrie wrote:
> Roo wrote:
> > When you upgrade you need to run mythtv-setup, this will upgrade the DB
> > Schema for you. After installing the newly compiled binaries and before
> > starting mythbackend just run mythtv-setup and watch the log file, if
> > the DB Schema needed to be updated you should see a log message stating
> > it was/is updated to version N.
>
> You shouldn't /need/ to run mythtv-setup to upgrade the schema. The main
> schema is stored in libmyth AFAIK and any myth progam (backend,
> frontend, setup) will undertake to update the schema. Certainly last
> time I upgraded and ran mythbackend it did the schema update.

I'd like to register a complaint about this feature. :)

One time when I was upgrading my system from .18 to .20, I upgraded one
of the frontends (xboxs) to .20 and was going to point it against a .20
test server. I didn't catch it quick enough in the boot, and it
connected to my real backend and then that frontend proceeded to upgrade
the schema in the database out from under the .18 backend, forcing me to
fast track the backend upgrade.

Most people I don't think will expect a frontend to do anything like
that. It would make much more sense for the frontend to complain and
quit rather then breaking a backend.

Just my 2 cents.
Kevin