[mythtv] Mythtv Gui

Peter Schachte schachte at csse.unimelb.edu.au
Sat Apr 21 11:33:11 UTC 2007

Steven Adeff wrote:

> I think Peter's smooth scrolling has to do with scrolling pages of
> lists

Right.

> (and yes, smooth scrolling in this sense would be nice, or you
> could set your repeat rate lower so it scrolls slower, because really,
> thats all smooth scrolling is, a slower scroll.

It's not just the repeat rate. Even for a single press of the up or down
button, I can't tell which way the display scrolled.  There just isn't any
visual hint.

Smooth scrolling would scroll the display in increments smaller than a single
line (a pixel or two at a time), so you could see which way it's going.  I
think it would also look nicer and be easier on the eyes

As for sideways scrolling, I agree that would often be useful.  I think in that
case, though, it's less important that the scrolling be smooth (a pixel or two
at a time, rather than a character at a time), because we're conditioned to
read horizontally.  Eg, when you delete a character at the beginning of a line
in emacs or vi, it's easy to tell visually that the rest of the line slid left
one character.  Still, silky smooth scrolling *would* look nice.

I'm not complaining; it's a pretty minor point.

--
Peter Schachte              I worry that 10 or 15 years from now, [my child]
schachte at cs.mu.OZ.AU        will come to me and say 'Daddy, where were you