[mythtv] Mythtv.org and MythWeb Flash

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Apr 10 18:45:28 UTC 2007

On 04/10/2007 12:50 PM, John P Poet wrote:
> It is extremely aggravating to go to a site which says "You need
> FLASH" to view this site.  I have FLASH installed, but the site wants
> a newer version.  But, no "newer" version is available for Solaris.

I agree that it would annoying to have it embedded in such a way it's on
"all" pages.  I'm hoping for a nice "quarantined" section that has the
Flash in it--basically, a link on the details page that goes to the one
page that uses the Flash Player.

Even though I've set up my Firefox to disable prompting for new plugins
and I do not run with Flash (or Java or any other) plugins enabled, when
I use others' web browsers (i.e. on a friend's machine), I only want the
Flash stuff if I specifically request it.  (I'm less likely to want to
watch a show if I'm using someone else's sytem, anyway.)  And, any blank
area that's reserved for Flash stuff is just a waste of space for me.

(The rest of this is OT... ;)

> I have been developing under Solaris for 13 years, and over that time
> have come to absolutely HATE FLASH.  Hate it, Hate it, Hate it!

Except for the Solaris part, me too!  Only thing worse than a Flash-only
website is a Flash-/and/-Shockwave-only website (since Shockwave is
Windows/Mac only).

> I have a feeble hope that Adobe will do better with FLASH than
> Macromedia did.

At least there's a Flash Player 9 for Linux x86.  And, even though it's
getting harder and harder to find 32-bit processors for new systems, I
guess multi-lib will be the way to do 64-bit for quite some time
still...  :)

However, the Flash 9 plugin seems to be crashing the NVIDIA 9629 and
9631 drivers (which are the last to support the GF4 series) on me...
Display completely locks and requires ssh in to reboot.  (I can't even
kill X, but come to think of it, I didn't try rmmod'ing the nvidia
module.)  But, it works great with the nv drivers.

Of course, Myth works better with nvidia drivers, but who really needs
Flash on their Myth box?

What's YouTube?  Eh.  Just a fad.

Oh, I can watch episodes of select shows legally even if I don't
successfully record them with my Myth box?  (
http://dynamic.abc.go.com/streaming/landing and
http://www.nbc.com/Video/ and http://www.cbs.com/innertube/ ) (Fox's,
http://myspace.com/fox , and The CW's, http://video.cwtv.com/ , require
Windows.)  Hrmph.

(Granted, the no-full-screen part of the above isn't too cool.  A tiny
window on a 1920x1080 screen might be worse than missing the episode,
anyway.)

Mike