[mythtv] [13168] and [13170] Reducing reschedules

David Engel david at istwok.net
Wed Apr 4 02:40:32 UTC 2007

On Tue, Apr 03, 2007 at 09:46:20PM -0400, Chris Pinkham wrote:
> Actually I misunderstood him about the exact location, but we're still
> discussing it off-list. :( then :)

Yes, Chris pointed out to me the reschedule request could be done from
within the scheduler itself instead of round about through the
recorder.  The main thing is the reschedule must occur *after* the new
recorded table entry is created, so I put it immediately after to be
sure.

That still leaves the case where reschedules will occur more often
than strictly necessasy.  For the particular bug I was fixing, the
reschedule only needs to be done if maxepisodes > 0 and maxnewest ==
0.  Unfortunatly, that information is not readily available when a
recording is actually started.  I'll see what it would take to make it
available.

A completely different approach I've briefly considered in the past is
to have the scheduler count recordings as things are placed in the
schedule.  The scheduler would then stop setting programs for a maxxed
out recordid to rsWillRecord in mid-run.  That leads to other
problems, though, so I've always discarded this approach.

David
--
David Engel
david at istwok.net