[mythtv] Protocol negotiation?

Michael Tiller michael.tiller at gmail.com
Fri Sep 29 13:32:54 UTC 2006

It seems like every time there is an update to MythTV, it creates havoc with
all other clients.  In my case, I have a MediaMVP and an XBox running XBMC
but the issue also exists because when trying to run MythTV on Xebian as
well because some people (like me) prefer to have prebuilt distributions and
those often lag significantly.

I'm curious...wouldn't it be possible to have the MythTV backend negotiate
which protocol to support?  In that way if it ran across an "old" client
that wanted protocol level 30, it could say "OK, I'll talk to you with 30"
insteady of throwing protocol errors.

I suppose since the current protocol doesn't support this kind of
handshaking we'd have to bump the change the protocol thereby (temporarily)
exacerbating the situation. :-)  But it seems like a good way to go in the
long term because then it wouldn't force you to update all clients at the
same time.

Just a thought.

--
Mike