[mythtv] Problems with channel scanning (DVB-C, PAL, Finland)

Ilja Jetsu ilja.jetsu at gmail.com
Mon Sep 18 06:55:34 UTC 2006

On 15/09/06, Ilja Jetsu <ilja.jetsu at gmail.com> wrote:
> Updating from 0.19 to 0.20 went well (yum via atrpms)
> Cable provider added some free channels to the lineup, so I wanted to
> update the listings.
> Running mythtv-setup and scanning existing transports gave errors
>
> 2006-09-15 16:07:34.950 DVBTuning Warning: Invalid inversion,
> aborting, falling back to 'auto'
> 2006-09-15 16:07:35.601 SDT: Error determining what transport this
> service table is associated with so failing
> (repeating multiple times, once for each transmitted mplex..)
>
> Then I cleaned the DB thinking well, maybe update broke something or
> then I did something wrong, but after that I have not been able to get
> channels from any multiplex except 1. (Same multiplex was the only
> without any errors before cleanup) All other multiplexes give that
> error, and add themselves into the database again, so after running
> the scan for 3 times, there is ~140 multiplexes on the db from the
> origin of 11mplexes.
>
> Using dvb-scan and importing channels.conf works otherwise well, finds
> all channels and I'm able to watch channels in LiveTV,  but for some
> reason EIT doesn't fetch any program information with those.
>

> Mythtv Versions:
> mythtv-frontend-0.20-136.fc5.at
> mythtv-setup-0.20-136.fc5.at
> mythtv-backend-0.20-136.fc5.at
>
> Location: Joensuu, Finland (Tikkacom/Elisa Cable)

Answering to myself :)
Unfortunately no complete solution has been found yet.
(I think that I'll have to compile the program with debug mode on.)

Tony K Lindstrom anyhow provided me with some information, which may
be meaningful to also others following the list:

---

I have fought with this EPG problem a lot and here are some hints.

The importing of channel.conf still doesn't work as expected. It fails
to set the transport id and network id in the dtv_multiplex table. (It
doesn't differ what type of card you use, at least both DVB-C and DVB-T
fails)

By setting on the debug -v eit;tail you can find out the correct values
for your multiplexes, but as I see you use the Elisa cable I can spare
you from that hassle. So this is what I have for my DVB-C card on the
Elisa Cable.

transportid  networkid  frequency
1               15      146000000
2               15      154000000
3               15      162000000

(I use the webmin mysql-module to change add those values.)

But.. something has happened to this, because I can't get any EIT
information for other than the programs in the second multiplex. (YLE
programs) Even though it scans from all mplex:es.

It doesn't seem to be a myhtv-specific problem, because tv_grab_dvb
doesn't find any EIT info for those other channels either.

Luckily I have two dvb cards and the second one is a DVB-T card, which
does receive all EPG-information correctly for all channels, so my
workaround is to use tv_grab_dvb from that card and feed it with
mythfilldatabase to those channels that doesn't receive the EPG
correctly on my dvb-c card.

--

And by using this as guideline and adding transport id and network id
for the multiplex with YLE - programming ii managed to get epg for

-Ilja