[mythtv] sa3250 tester

John P Poet jppoet at gmail.com
Sun Sep 17 04:45:50 UTC 2006

On 9/16/06, Jim Westfall <jwestfall at surrealistic.net> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am looking for another SA3250/4200 tester to try the attached code.  It
> should detect the current power state, powers the STB off, then back on.
>
> I would appreciate it if someone could run it, verify it does power off/on
> the STB and send me the output.  It will look something like this.
>
> mythtv at mythfrontend:~$ ./firewire -n 0
> Requesting Power Status
>   Sending Command: 0x01FFB27F
>   Success, Response: 0x0CFFB270
> Powering OFF STB
>   Sending Command: 0x00FFB260
>   Success, Response: 0x09FFB260
> Requesting Power Status
>   Sending Command: 0x01FFB27F
>   Success, Response: 0x0CFFB260
> Powering ON STB
>   Sending Command: 0x00FFB270
>   Success, Response: 0x09FFB270
> Requesting Power Status
>   Sending Command: 0x01FFB27F
>   Success, Response: 0x0CFFB270
>
> thx
> jim

Worked perfectly, for me on a SA3250HD:

$ ./firewire -n 0
Requesting Power Status
  Sending Command: 0x01FFB27F
  Success, Response: 0x0CFFB270
Powering OFF STB
  Sending Command: 0x00FFB260
  Success, Response: 0x09FFB260
Requesting Power Status
  Sending Command: 0x01FFB27F
  Success, Response: 0x0CFFB260
Powering ON STB
  Sending Command: 0x00FFB270
  Success, Response: 0x09FFB270
Requesting Power Status
  Sending Command: 0x01FFB27F
  Success, Response: 0x0CFFB270

$ firewire_tester -n 0 -p -v
raw1394: Allocating handle, port 0.
Action: Test P2P connection 1 times, node 0, channel 0
P2P: Creating, node 0, channel 0
P2P: Testing...Success, 58 packets received
P2P: Disconnecting.
raw1394: Releasing handle.

As a side note, I have added a script to my rc.d which runs the
following just before mythbackend is started up:

firewire_tester -n 0 -p -v
1394reset
firewire_tester -n 0 -p -v

This sequence of events has (so far) proven 100% reliable in getting
the 1394 communications with the sa3250hd working.  This assumes, of
course, that the cable box is on a good channel.  I probably should
add a call to the channel change program in there.

I have tried many different combinations of firewire_tester and
1394reset.  It seems that calling firewire_tester the first time
"plumbs" the interface, but is not sufficient to get data flowing.  A
call to 1394reset by itself, is not sufficient to get data flowing.
Using the two programs in sequence, however, seems to work great.

1394reset is just a hack I threw together from the 1394command source code.

Thanks,

John