[mythtv] videout and display_video_rect

Andrew Kimpton awk at awkward.org
Fri Sep 15 02:28:03 UTC 2006

There seems to be some discrepancy between how the videoout_quartz
class handles the 'W' (zoom) key and how other (xv) classes process
the zooming behavior.

It looks like the base class goes to some length to calculate a
display_video_rect that represents the onscreen visual display area
(and video is stretched to match that display area). However the
quartz implementation does not 'observe' display_video_rect at all,
and rather attempts to calculate (with perhaps some bugs) it's own
zooming/centering behavior - but basically the 'W' key doesn't work.

It seems like the quartz implementation is broken - but one thing it
does which I can't seem to get the 'display_video_rect' code to
follow is 'pillarboxing' where 4:3 SD content is displayed centered
with vertical black bars to either side.

Is it expected that 4:3 content on a 16:9 display with xv is always
going to 'fill' the display ? Or am I missing something ? I don't
actually have a machine I can the xv version of the frontend on right
now - so I'm just looking at the values of display_video_rect - but I
never see anything with a large positive left margin.

Thanks

Andrew 8-)